Saturday, July 03, 2010

Need to Read

If you haven't read Rory Miller's book Meditations on Violence, my review of which is here, you should. And you should be standing by for his next book, which is coming out in the near future. His working title was "7," and he kinda liked "The Book of Seven Rings," but the publisher is going with:

Facing Violence—Preparing for the Unexpected
  • Ethically
  • Emotionally
  • Physically
  • Without Going to Prison
Admittedly not as sexy a title, but probably one that will call to more readers, and that's the point. I had a chance to read this in manuscript form, and if you liked the first one, you'll like the second one more. I'll post a heads-up here and a link when it becomes available.

4 comments:

Jason said...

I am really looking forward to this.

Rory's first book was one of the most intellectually satisfying things I have read in a while. I have already passed copies on to several others that I thought would appreciate/benefit from it.

One of my favorite things to run into is a situation, book, coversation, or whatever that snaps half formed thoughts in my head into sharp, or at least sharper, focus.

"Meditations..." did that for me. Over and over again. Sometimes it would be the moment where someone explains something well that you already knew but couldn't have expressed in words and it snaps into bright focus. Other times it was the introduction of wholly new material that caused disconnected puzzle pieces of knowledge and experience to snap together into knew and unexpected patterns.

Great book. Required reading is putting it too lightly. I owe Rory a beer, and I haven't even met him... yet.

heina said...

When can we pre-order. 'Nuff said.

Unknown said...

I have a short list of books I require my rookies to read (Yes, I'm the kind of prick FTO that assigns homework). Meditations is on it.

Stan said...

Thank you for re-listing "Meditations," Steve. I just ordered it from Amazon for my iPad's "Kindle" application.
I've been going through perception and ability changes over the past year. I figure I can use another prompt and guide to help me maintain my awareness!