Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Prince Charming and the Seven Dwarves


So, the silly season is upon us again. The race for President is off and running, and from where I sit, it looks like Prince Charming versus the Seven Dwarves ... only ...


The Prince's running shoes are a bit worn, he really needs to quit smoking, and there are some serious hurdles in his lane.


In February, 2008, I posted a blog entry called Expectations. Here, four graphs from it:


".. as much as I like what Obama has to say, and his manner of delivery, and I'd be happy with him running against McCain, I know to my core that he isn't going to be able to deliver everything he is promising. Carter couldn't do it, Bill Clinton couldn't do it, and they were both as smart as anybody since Jefferson. Hillary won't be able to, nor will McCain.

It's like wishing you could fly by jumping up in the air and waving your arms; it would be wonderful, but the aerodynamics aren't going to allow it on this planet.

The politics of hope are not the same as the politics of accomplishment.


This is Obama's biggest drawback. If he does get elected, the expectation level is astronomical. And while it is true that if you reach for the stars, you don't come up with a handful of mud, and that a man's reach should exceed his grasp, people who believe Obama is going to completely fix the broken state of the U.S. are living somewhere between Sleeping Beauty's Castle and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."

Not as good as when I predicted the iPhone, but close enough.

Yeah, it's the Dwarves, none of whom do I believe can do any better a job than Obama has done, and most of whom would–I believe–make things considerably worse than they already are; I voted for Obama and will again. And despite his successes in foreign policy and whacking terrorists and all, "It's the economy, stupid!" will almost certainly determine the outcome. He's got his work cut out for him 'twixt now and election day, if he wants four more years. 

(And I still think that wanting the job should disqualify you from having it, and that there should be a lottery, the winner of which has to be President. It's as as good a way as any ...)

No comments: