Sunday, November 25, 2012

Irony


Caught the recent episode of Daryl Hall's home studio jam, with Joe Walsh. This is always fun, and when I first started watching it online a few years back, I was impressed with just how good Daryl's chops are. Man can play.

So, uh, can Joe Walsh.

As part of the show, they did a short interview with Walsh, in which he lamented the state of the music industry with some bitterness. Gone to hell, it has, you can't make any money in it any more, all the MP3 freebies stealing the record sales; plus a shitload of the music these days starts out with a drum machine and then has a bunch of virtual instruments laid onto tracks and auto-tuned and nobody really plays anything ...

All of which is true; however, coming from the lips of a man who was in James Gang and the Eagles, among others, and who gave us "Life's Been Good to Me So Far," is there more than a little irony in that ..

"Life's Been Good"


I have a mansion
Forget the price
Ain't never been there
They tell me it's nice

I live in hotels
Tear out the walls
I have accountants
Pay for it all

They say I'm crazy but I have a good time
I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime
Life's been good to me so far

My Maserati
Does one eighty-five
I lost my license
Now I don't drive

I have a limo
Ride in the back
I lock the doors
In case I'm attacked

I'm making records
My fans they can't wait
They write me letters
Tell me I'm great

So I got me an office
Gold records on the wall
Just leave a message
Maybe I'll call

Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
(Everybody sing) I'm cool (He's cool)
I can't complain but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far

I go to parties
Sometimes until four
It's hard to leave
When you can't find the door

It's tough to handle
This fortune and fame
Everybody's so different
I haven't changed

They say I'm lazy but it takes all my time
(Everybody sing) Oh yeah (Oh yeah)
I keep on going guess I'll never know why
Life's been good to me so far baby,
inside the Sad Cafe. 

No comments: