Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Loons Speak


Post-election and the loons are out in force: I speak here of the movement in various places to secede from the union. Apparently there are a whole bunch of states with at least ten thousand signatures on such idiotic petitions, once again proving that nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of (at least some) of the American public. 

Gonna form your own country, Alabama? Crimson Tideland? How about you, Tex? Lone Starbeeria?

Bundle 'em altogther and you get ... Dumbfuckistan. 

Or maybe ... Bubbaland ...

Hey, you there, boy, lemme see yore pass-a-port! All right now, you read to me what it says, and don't lie to me ...

I recall that George W. Bush still had a 27% approval rate when he left office, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of those agitating to leave aren't smack dab in the middle of that bunch.

Speaking here as a son of Louisiana who grew up listening to folks tell me to save my Dixie cups 'cause the South will rise agin! It's been tried, folks. Didn't work then, certainly won't work now, and you really have to wonder: Has anybody thought this through, past sour grapes that the black guy got reĆ«lected? 

If folks turned half the energy they spend on such stupidity toward making the country a better place? We could achieve paradise on this world, no need to wait until the next ...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"If folks turned half the energy they spend on such stupidity toward making the country a better place?"

The problem is that they think they ARE tring to make the country a better place. I joke (only half-heartedly) about needing my passport in Arizona. I'm sure some of the folks in AZ who like the "show your papers" law think it makes AZ and the USA a much better place to live.

Any time someone says something will be "good for the country," start looking to see who's profiting. I'm wondering, now, who's making a buck off of this secession thing.

I don't know who it was that said everyone's utopia is someone else's hell, and vice versa, but I think they were spot on.

William Adams said...

For an amusing, science fiction take on Texas seceding, Daniel de la Cruz's _The Ayes of Texas_ is amusing, depending on one's tolerance of such.

Mike Byers said...

Here in the tribal regions of Western Hoosierstan (aka western Indiana) folks have pursued whacko ideas for so long that mere secession seems almost normal. Warren County, where I've lived for most of my life, wouldn't join the Wabash River Alliance for fear that the UN would take over the government. I was all in favor of the blue helmets showing up, figuring that they might pave a road or two and maybe put in broadband internet, but no luck so far.