Friday, February 15, 2013

Oldies Getting Younger


My in-car radio stations, aside from OBP, of course, include a classical station, an adult hits, and an oldies station. The oldies station for years has played "The top hits of the 50's, 60's, and 70's!"

Yesterday while listening to this station, I heard something I don't recall from any of those eras, and afterward, the new ad: "The tops hits of the 60's, 70's, and 80's!"

Aside from them assuming all the folks who liked the fifties stuff are dead, I have to wonder? How many hits were there in the eighties? I mean, really ...

Grump. Grump.

6 comments:

Scott said...

Lots! Who could forget Me So Horny? Michael Jackson? Rap? The prime number song? Superfreak?!

Anonymous said...

That is what us kids of the 80s say about 90s. :)

Shady_Grady said...

8675309

Travis said...

Oddly enough the top 40 in the 80's contained the same number of songs as the top 40 in the 70's. ..

... It just seems longer when you listen to the seventies

Anonymous said...

-> Travis,
That might not be correct. Because of the number of one hit wonders, I think the 1970s might have had more different songs hit the top 40 than the 1980s did.
Anyone have any idea if someone has already done the work of counting?

Rory said...

I remember the sudden feeling of age the first time I heard "Hotel California" on a 'Golden Oldies' station. I was okay with calling the Eagle's classic rock, but 'golden oldies'?