Thursday, June 19, 2014

Ashokan Sort of Farewell



I've been working on learning "Ashokan Farewell," by Jay Unger, as a solo instrumental on the ukulele. 

Haven't gotten there yet, but I am making progress, albeit slowly so. So I figured to spur myself on, I'd post the only vid I could manage of it that wasn't a complete wreck.

Even so, the sound is crappy, there are squeaks and squeals, and all like that. Usual excuses here.

I used to could play this piece on the guitar, after a fashion, and I thought I'd try to bring it across. It was from El McMeen's transcription in his book on Dropped-D guitar, so to keep the fingering anywhere close, I had to change the key to G. Then figure out how to lose the two bass guitar strings and still have some bottom. I think I mostly have the arrangement down, now it's just a matter of actually learning how to play the sucker. And to get past red-light fever when the camera goes on, which is always cause for immediate flubbery and a fast ride to clam-city ...

4 comments:

Blanche Nonken said...

I think it was lovely. I am a sucker for that tune, and was preparing myself to be forgiving - but no need. Thank you for sharing that!

Steve Perry said...

One of the main keys to approval is lowering expectations ...

Mike Byers said...

Sounds good on the uke; I'd say you're playing it pretty darn well!

Steve Perry said...

A long, slow process, this learning business. Older than I once was and younger than I'll be, and thank you Paul Simon ...